Neurology & Endovascular Neurosurgery in India
Epilepsy surgery in India is a very good option for abroad patients seeking low cost and safe surgical treatment for the correction of their disorders. Medical tourism in India provides very good assistance to international patients for their comfortable treatment in India. Significant option for curing epileptics. For neurosurgery, patients must find surgeons who are appropriately trained. Another factor to consider is cost and reimbursement. Typical cost for epilepsy surgery can vary, and many insurance companies will only provide partial coverage, or even no coverage, since they still consider the surgery experimental. And finally, patients need to be aware that like any new medical technology, this surgery carries with it a certain level of unknown technical risks. Since epilepsy surgery it is still a relatively new procedure in India with a certain level of risks. The cost of Epilepsy surgery in India is very less compared to that of its cost in other developed countries. Most advanced surgery hospitals for Epilepsy surgery in India are in most prominent cities of India.
Why should you choose to get Neurology & Endovascular Neurosurgery in India?
- Indian doctors are known all over the world for their skill and knowledge and have the experience of studying and working at the best neuron surgery hospitals in the world.
- Most advanced Technology Infrastructure – Blood Bank with 24 hour apharesis facility, advanced laboratory and microbiology (infection control) support, advanced cardiology, DSA and interventional radiology, portable and colour ultra-sonology, Liver Fibro-scan, 64 slice CT scanner, 3 T MRI, PET-CT and nephrology (including 24 hour dialysis and CVVHD).
- Neurosurgery Hospitals in India are equipped with the latest and high end technology.
- Cost of epilepsy surgery in India at best brain surgery hospitals in India is very low as compared to the cost at best hospitals in America or UK with the same level of care and services.
Advanced Epilepsy Treatment at World’s Best Hospital in India
A disorder of the brain that also includes recurring seizures is termed as epilepsy. These seizures are due to chemical and electrical activity of the brain. Seizures can happen anywhere in the brain and involves multiple causes. A person has seizures when –
Doctors in these specialties may also diagnose and treat conditions of the spinal cord using similar techniques, although not through a blood vessel. These types of procedures are called “minimally invasive” because they generally require only a tiny incision instead of a larger incision necessary for open surgery.
Endovascular neurosurgery treats a variety of vascular diseases such as:
- The causes of the seizures can be prevented.
- There are 2 or more seizures.
Types of Epilepsy
- Complex partial seizure
- Simple partial seizure
- Generalized tonic clonic seizures
- Myoclonic epilepsy
Why is Epilepsy surgery required?
Epilepsy surgery has proven to be successful in reducing and even eliminating seizures in patients who did not respond well to the epilepsy medications. It is important to get the treatment for epilepsy, repeated seizures may result in:
After 2–4 weeks, there is a follow-up to remove sutures, turn on the neurostimulator and program it.
- Irreparable Brain damage from repeated seizures
- Sudden death, a rare complication
- Injuries from falling / driving during various activities
Advanced Epilepsy Treatment Options Available at World’s Best Hospital in India
Till the time a person develops a second seizure, treatment for epilepsy will not begin. This is due to the reason that a person may have one seizure and never develops a second seizure. Medicines are successful in treating epilepsy. These medicines do not cure epilepsy, they prevent recurring of the seizures. These medicines changes the chemical or electrical transmissions in the brain in a particle way that decreases the chance of a seizure.
Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) :
VNS therapy is recommended when medicines are unable to control epilepsy. During the surgical procedure, an electrical device is implanted underneath the skin. The lead of this device is wrapped around one of the nerves on the neck’s left side. This nerve is called as vagus nerve. This device continuously passes an electric dose to the nerve in order to stimulate it. This process reduces the severity and frequency of the seizures. If a person is feeling a warning seizure symptom then extra stimulation is given for preventing recurrence of the seizure.
This is also considered as one of the treatment for epilepsy. Ketogenic diet is recommended for children as it involves eating a diet which is low in proteins and carbohydrates and high in fats. The chemical balance of the brain can be altered that also reduces the chance of having seizures. Ketogenic diet is not meant for adults as the diet can result in any other serious medical condition like heart disease, high blood pressure or strokes.
Advanced Surgical Procedures for Management of Epilepsy
Depending on the particular clinical situation, one of the following surgical procedures is chosen by the Medical team at our affiliate hospital. These operations either aim to resect the disease area of the brain, to disconnect it from other areas so as to relieve the seizures, or to lessen their impact.
- Anteromedial Temporal Lobectomy
- Selective Amygdalohippocampectomy
- Electrocorticography guided Resections
- Multiple Subpial transections
- Quadrantic Resections
- Multilobar Resections
- Functional Hemispherotomy
- Vagal Nerve stimulation
- Radiosurgery (selected cases)